Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sisters.

Growing up, I was the only girl with two brothers...and I LOVED it! I mean, really loved it. When my mom was pregnant with Tyler, I remember desperately wanting a little sister. But then it was a boy, and I recall my realization of what it meant to be the ONLY girl. And the oldest. It was bliss. For me. Not my brothers. They didn't love me pulling the older sister/mom card as often as I did. I was daddy's girl, momma's (bargain!) shopping buddy, and the older sister of the best two brothers in the world. But the title of this blog is sisters, so I'll come back to all of those others later.

When I moved to Springfield, our church gave us college students adopted families. My freshman year, I was placed with the sweetest couple who were so generous and loving. They took such good care of me and were so encouraging. The next year, I was in the midst of a weird transition from BBC to SMS (now MSU), and found myself without a place to live. That's where the sisters part begins. A family in our church opened their home to me without even knowing me. What was more amazing was how they opened their hearts to me. At the time I moved in, their girls were in 2nd and 4th grade. It was so fun to get to know them and just be together. I soon moved out, only to move back in the following fall, along with my two roommates while we waited to move into our townhouse. Throughout this time, they were never officially assigned to me as my adopted family at church, but we quickly began calling each other such. And for the first time in my life, I had sisters. They included me in family birthday parties. While I was working with the Lady Bears, I would have to come back early over Christmas break before New Years, so I would spend it with them. It was a special bond that made my time away from home more bearable. They made me feel at home, but most of all, loved. When they would travel, I would sometimes get to keep the girls at their house. This was a big deal for me because I realized there were others who could have done this, but they let me do it. They were the first to introduce me to the lake, and the girls and I would tube until exhaustion. And then there was the summer my roommate was getting married, so I once again moved back into their home. And they were so gracious about it. I would try to be responsible and pay rent, but those checks were never cashed. And over the years, there were truly too many meals to count that they provided for me.

My sisters have grown into two beautiful girls, inside and out. And I'm so proud of who they are becoming.

Morgan, the youngest, is tender-hearted, and a natural with kids. She is a senior in high school and very well respected among her peers. She has one of the sweetest dispositions I've ever been around, and I'm proud of the way she leads by example. She has a few quirks that my husband blames on me, and that brings my heart great joy! I'm excited to watch her future unfold, as I know the Lord has an amazing plan for her life.

Ashley, the oldest, is fun-loving, and a risk-taker. She is moving to China on Monday to study abroad. I'm so excited for her! She is going to experience and learn so much while she is away, but we are all going to miss her and her passion (interpretation= drama)! ;) There was a short period of time when I, as a big sister, would worry about Ash. But I could not be more proud of her heart and desire to serve the Lord. I have no doubt that He has a great adventure in store for her life, and I'm looking forward to the outcome.

I'm so thankful to the Lord for allowing me to experience life with sisters. I am grateful for the way He orchestrated my adoption into the Wilson family and the joy they have brought to my life. It is hard for me to believe I've been part of the family for more than half of the girls' lives. It has been a blessing too much for words, but I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment