Friday, January 27, 2012

Home.

Being a Kansas girl through and through (no bother that I was born in Iowa before my parents returned home to Wichita), I have always loved the cliche Wizard of Oz quote, "There's no place like home." Because it's true. There is no place like home. There are fewer places in all the world I'd rather be than in my parent's home...and I've been blessed to do my fair share of traveling (see previous post for reference). I'd probably choose an extended trip with the family somewhere fun (maybe Alaska or Hawaii to finish out our 50 states goal), but I'd still look forward to the familiarity of our home. I guess because it is safe there. And bursting with love. And comfort. That is what my parents have made our home- a haven. I "left" home and headed off to college when I was 18. I'm 30 now. Yes, there were summers I was back, but for the most part, I've been gone. But...I still call it my home. Why? Because life there is sweeter. And the memories are dearer. And the laughs are harder. And the love is purer.

I also love the cliche saying, "Home is where the heart is." I remember feeling this way when Andrew and I were dating. He had my heart and it was overflowing with love and comfortable. Just like home. Andrew and I have realized that we might not always have the luxury of living near family or even close enough to make an unexpected trip home because of difficult circumstances. But, when we are together, we are "home." We have no idea if we will ever have a permanent house of our own because we are not quite sure what the Lord has in store for us. But we will always have a home. Because that's where our hearts are. And there's no place like it.

One of my favorite songs is Feels Like Home and the lyrics simply say, "It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me. It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from. It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me. It feels like I'm all the way back where I belong." This song reminds me of my best friend, Crystal, because it was on a CD that she used to play when we lived in our town house during college. Her friendship is like home to me. It's real. And comfortable. And full of love.

Home also reminds me of heaven. Both of my dear Grandmas lost their battle with breast cancer and "went home." I miss them terribly. There are so many reasons, but mostly because they made home sweeter. They epitomized the saying, "Home, Sweet Home." They were amazing women of faith who I try to emulate. I fail miserably at that. I long to be like them, and can't wait to be home with them. Heaven must be the sweetest place we could ever dream of being...Home.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,
    This post is so precious!! I always felt that way about my parents home. It was always a wonderful place to be. After I met and fell in love with George, I knew I would live with him and be at home even if it was in a tent. God will show you what he wants. Just try to be patient.

    ReplyDelete